Friday, January 05, 2007

Tyler and me thank you

Wow. I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all the purrrayers and good thoughts sent to Tyler. This means a lot to him and to me. It seems to be helping him also.

Tyler went for x-rays a couple days ago and nothing significant was found. The vet recommended we keep him on the anti-inflammatory med (Deramaxx) for a couple of weeks because he could have a sore muscle, nerve or joint which would not show up in an x-ray, and he didn't think the condition was urgent to warrant doing an MRI at this point.

The following morning, Tyler seemed a lot better. Normally when the medication wore off, he would stop walking. Now he seems okay when the meds have worn off. So that is progress, right? We have kept him on the medication a couple more days, but my husband wants to take him off the medicine. His theory is that Tyler doesn't need the meds any longer than absolutely necessary. I am not sure. It seems like the inflammation could return and stopping the meds now could be too soon. However, I am willing to give it a trial run this weekend, to see how Tyler acts without the med for a longer time frame, and also if he is *able* to feel pain, he might be less inclined to run and jump and damage whatever is healing.

What are your thoughts? Should anti-inflammatories be continued after the symptoms subside? Or should they be stopped as early as possible?

In the meantime, I went home for lunch yesterday and Tyler begged politely for food. When I finished eating, he brought a toy and wanted to be chased. The spring and curl are returning to his tail. Although I'm scared to say he's out of the woods, he definitely seems to be improving.

Your comments and prayers have meant so much. I cannot thank you enough! Any suggestions or advice about the meds or symptoms, if you have thoughts on this, would be welcomed too.

14 Comments:

Blogger Manda Girl said...

Glad to hear that things are getting better. I don't know what to suggest for the meds - I'm a believer that they shouldn't be on medication longer than ncessary, but sometimes you just don't know if they are still experiencing pain or not.

Go with your gut - you know him best and will be able to judge how is is doing with/out it.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

What great news! He must've just pulled a muscle or something.

If it were my furry pal, I think I'd taper the medicine-- if it's every 8 hours, switch to every 10, then 12 and see how it goes.

But as manda says, trust your gut on this one. You know him best.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Punchbugpug said...

I have to agree, I took a Pet First Aid class and they said over and over...."you know your pet best"! I think if it was me, I'd try without it and see how things go. Just tell him no fancy tricks or jumps!

10:09 PM  
Blogger The Meezers or Billy said...

whew! we are furry glad Tyler is feeling better. Mommy saided if it were her and one of us were hert, she would keep us on the anti-inflamatory for a few more days, so keep the inflamashun down so it is less likely to come back. She does agree wif the man in that he should not be on medikshun more than is necessary, but if somefing is inflamed and hert, then just 'acause the symptoms go away doesn't mean the prollem is gone.
but, that's just her train of thought.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'm glad the medicine is helping. He's so young that maybe the medicine is only needed for a short time. Our Tiny is on the same medicine you are giving Tyler. She is getting it every other day. The doctor did blood work on her to make sure she could handle taking it. But she is 12 years old and her back end and legs are getting where they don't work right and she was so slow and seemed like it was hurting her and she still doesn't go up and down steps anymore. But that medicine made her much more active and it was good to see her feeling better. So they will do blood work again in a few months.

Maybe Tyler just pulled something really bad and just needs time to heal. If you quit giving it to him for a few days and you see him hurting again, I think you should keep giving him the medicine even if it's every other day for a few weeks.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

We are so glad to hear that your handsome boy is feeling better. He is such a beautiful pug! Looking forward to hearing about the next couple of days.

3:51 PM  
Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Poor Fella....I am glad to hear he is feeling better...I bet you are as well nothing is worse than knowing our Fur kids are under the weather.

Happy Healing!

7:24 PM  
Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

Just stopped in to say hello and send *feel better* wishes for Tyler.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

So glad to hear Tyler is getting better and nothing serious was found to be wrong with him! I would ask the Vet when to discontinue the meds and go with his/her instructions.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

Oh I'm so glad he's doing better! I usually go with whatever the vet says is best because we have a wonderful vet who has really connected with us and our dogs. But if you feel the vet might be wrong, I'd get a second opinion

7:28 PM  
Blogger Ayatollah Mugsy said...

Get well soon, Tyler.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am so glad to hear that Tyler is doing much better. We are thinking about you guys!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Amy in NC said...

Tyler,

I am so glad that you are feeling better. The computer was messed up so I couldn't post, but Mom has fixed it for us.

Purrs and chin skritches,

Lizzie

8:35 PM  
Blogger lalagirl said...

Hope Tyler is feeling better and up to his Pug tricks!

Porky & Brownie

PS - We love your pictures!

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home