Monday, October 10, 2005

Fifteen seconds of fame

Thanks to Anisa for reminding me.

From elementary school through high school, I was always the last person selected for team activities. It started out with Red Rover and tug-of-war, and eventually happened with kickball, basketball and volleyball. Oh, the HORROR stories from volleyball in sophomore P.E. class. I really hated P.E.

Alas, one day, our class (all female) was paired with the senior guys' class for a game of touch football. And... after catching a ball passed by the cutest guy there... I scored a touchdown!!! My team cheered. The cute guy smiled. The moment was surreal. And for just a few seconds, I didn't hate P.E. anymore.

4 Comments:

Blogger Surrey405 said...

I love the way you talk about the "cute guy". It seems like your emotions are coming through the text. That is so beautiful.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Anisa said...

isn't it funny how those few seconds stay with us forever? great story. :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger JueDee said...

I can sooo relate to always being picked last. As an adult, I think p.e. classes should divide the kids into groups using a different way. It's just so unfair to those of us who have to have it rubbed in our faces how athetically unclined we are.
I'm soooooo happy to hear that you got your day to shine and show those kids a thing or 2!!!

8:02 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Good for you - showing those other kids a lesson! I always hated PE too and never went in for sports. I did, however, always try to befriend all the "loser" kids who never got picked for anything. Especially since I was one of them!

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home