Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The amazing Puffin

"Puffins lay 1 egg per year. They usually keep the same mate every season and use the same burrow as in previous years. The male and female share the duties of incubating the egg and rearing the chick. Puffins often live 20 years or more."




"Puffins use body movements to communicate in a variety of situations. In mating and courtship the puffins will pair up before they come onto the island from the ocean. Once they are on land, the pair may perform billing, a behavior where puffins rub their beaks together. This display usually will draw a crowd of puffins to share in the excitement."




"Puffins are not endangered but they are threatened by human activities and are rare in many areas where they were once abundant. As a result, we need to protect critical puffin breeding and feeding habitat. In some parts of their range there are just a few colonies. Where this occurs “all the eggs are in a few baskets” and these populations are vulnerable to catastrophes such as oil spills, avian diseases and introduction of predators. Restoration of former nesting colonies helps to reduce the risk to the regional population by establishing more nesting sites."

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Puffins! I can't believe someone else loves puffins out there! Will you marry me?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Whoa, an anonymous proposal? Not totally anon, of course, this person loves puffins.

Surrey, totally agree. :)

Anon> you love the bird or the cereal? Or both?

10:58 PM  
Blogger Collette Osuna said...

What a cute blog:) YOu stopped by and said HI on mine, so I thought Id do the same and check yours out..hmm...dont know why the first pic on mine wasnt loading, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt, Ill have to check into that:)
Nice to meet ya!!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the animal, but I have never had the cereal... I love penguins too, but they can't fly. Seriously though, will you marry me?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Anon: Who are you? :)

{c}: Thanks for visiting!

JueDee: Agreed!

cablonde: Yes, sometimes they have breathing issues. The pug I am with in the avatar is no longer with us due to various health issues, one of which was a collapsing airway. She was 11 1/2 when we lost her - she had been dealing with mast cell skin cancer too, and pancreatitis was the last bout she dealt with. So yes, they have breathing problems and lots of other vulnerabilities. But they are so worth having - I wouldn't trade the time with Puggy for anything in the world.

Tyler, on the other hand, breathes just fine. He also sneezes less, though he is prone to ear infections due to some kind of allergy. Thanks for stopping by!

12:33 PM  
Blogger DK & The Fluffies said...

Do they taste like chicken?

7:02 PM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Watch it, DK!!! Grrrr.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

I'm in the process of looking around at your posts ... I totally love your little pug! Have always liked them.

I worked at an aquarium for years until a few months ago - our penguins lived their lives very much like the puffin. Mated for life, shared the egg sitting, etc. Great little birds, the puffins.
(never had the cereal)

By the way, for your reader above, "guapo" in Spanish is actually "lady's man" - "feo" is "ugly." So her dad's caretaker's pug was actually a little lady's man!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Orlando: Thanks a bunch!

cablonde: Labs are amazing dogs too and have such great dispositions!

Weary Hag: An aquarium sounds like a great place to work. Did you enjoy being there?

Re "Guapo": I had heard it means handsome, but "ladies man" sounds a lot better. Though some unenlightened people have told me pugs are ugly. Whatever!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

The aquarium job was the BEST. Until ... (they say all good things must come to an end) ... they decided to bring in outside movers and shakers to restructure the place. The new manager of my department was a horror story from hell and I was the last person in our department to stick it out as long as I could. She was intolerable. I left the job (very sadly) just two months ago and miss the marine life very very much.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets just say, were good friends, but I'm too embarrased to ask you out in person. You know who I am, if you just think about it for a little bit. I love you, and your pug.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Puggyspice said...

Okay, anon... are you the guy from the post office parking lot? Seriously, tell me something about me that only you and a handful of people would know.

Otherwise, this looks like your just messin' with my head.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home